Friday, July 23, 2010

Veronika Decides to Die




















So this was an amazing book. I will preface my review by saying that, yes I did read the book because of the Sarah Michelle Gellar movie coming to DVD/Blu-Ray in August (yeah that's right, I am pimping SMG to you), and I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. Now I'm worried that the movie won't be that great, because it's a very psychological book and the thoughts of multiple characters are put on pages and I don't know how well that will translate to the screen. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Anyway, Veronika herself is an unusual character. She had no real reason for her attempted suicide beyond the reason that she just wanted to. As the back of the book suggests, Veronika was beautiful, intelligent, and other attractive adjectives... so why did she want to die? The book never really goes over that too much, mainly because Veronika herself doesn't know, so why should we, the readers looking onto her life, know more? Moreso the book asks the question of Will Veronika live?. And you don't find that out until the very end of the novel. I'm not too sure whether or not I liked the ending... on one hand, I kind of wanted it to happen, but on the other I didn't. It's all very confusing and I'm limiting myself here because I don't want to give away any spoilers. I recommend that you just read the book. (:


Rating: Five stars
Length: 210 pages (paperback)
Source: Paperbackswap
Other books I've read by this author: This was my first

No comments:

Post a Comment